One of the best vintages in the last twenty years. A mild spring followed by a very warm summer meant a product of the highest quality with no phytosanitary problems. The grapes were harvested between the end of October and the start of November in a state of perfect ripeness.
PRODUCTION ZONE: 30 hectares of 20-year-old vines, with a planting density of 3,000 vines per hectare, vertical-trained and pollarding. Another 22 hectares of 10-year-old vines are trained as spurred cordon at 80 cm from the ground with a planting density of 5,000 vines per hectare. All the vineyards were grafted strictly on site with rootstock 420A, with mass selection of vegetal matter from local heirloom vines.
ALTITUDE AND ASPECT: 500 metres above sea level.
TYPE OF SOIL: Mainly of volcanic origin.
TRAINING SYSTEM: Guyot.
HARVEST: Between the end of October and the start of November.
WINEMAKING METHOD: Cold pre-fermentation maceration at 5 °C for 10 days, followed by alcoholic fermentation for about 15 days at a temperature of 18--23 °C.
AGEING: After malolactic fermentation, 40% of the mass is barrique-aged for 12 months, while the remaining 60% is barrel-aged. Finally all the wine has a further 6 months in barrels to complete the ageing process
SENSORY PROFILE: Vibrant, inky ruby red with a generous, complex nose, sour cherry and aromatic herb notes to the fore, and hints of vanilla and pepper. The flavour is powerful and commanding with elegant spice and confectioner’s cream in the finish. A full-flavoured, minerally wine, traits that make it astonishingly well-balanced.
RECOMMENDED CELLARING: Lay down for 18 years in a cool, dark cellar.
FOOD PAIRING: Strascinati pasta with pezzente salami and king oyster mushroom, gnumaridd rolls of lamb offal, stewed or barbecued.